Taking Makeup is excited to bring to you Guido for Redken’s Fall/Winter 2008 hair trends straight from the runways at Fashion Week Fall/Winter 2008 NYC, Paris, Milan and London.
Guido designed and executed the hair at more than 30 shows including Marc Jacobs, Donna Karan, Versace and Louis Vuitton and has put together his top hair trends for the coming season inspired by the shows. Guido takes us to the back of the head, where we will be seeing knots, twists, ponytails with a spice of 1960s glam, 1920s sophistication and a touch of the future.
Guido-Hair Stylist for Redken.
A fresh take…”The back of the head is huge this season. We’re seeing knots, twists, ponytails-it’s a blend of 1980s glam, 1920s sophistication and a touch of the future.”
A glam finish…”We saw a lot of roughed-up, matte textures last season. Now, we’re moving on to styles with high shine. It’s a controlled look, a return to a woman who’s more demure-but at the same time she’s strong, confident and sexy.”
A streamlined silhouette…”This season, it’s all about minimalism. We’re seeing smaller, more subdued styles. Hair is pulled back close to the head and styled in a clean, simple way.”
Here are Guido’s for Redken top four hair trends for the Fall/Winter 2008 season:
Intense Shine: High Gloss Looks With A Plasticized Finish: Shine returns to the runway in full force, after last season’s parade of ultra-matte textures. Hair stayed close to the scalp, in sedate slicked-back styles with a lacquered finish. As seen at: Alice Temperley, Calvin Klein, Christopher Kane, Halston, Jonathan Saunders, Kisa, Lanvin, Miu Miu, Prada, and Pringle.
1. To get the slick finish seen at Prada: Blow-dry hair straight, then smooth hardwear 16 super strong gel from roots to ends (applying gel to dry hair creates a lacquered effect). Pull hair into a bun and apply glass 01 smoothing serum for extra sleekness.
2. For a blow-dry with extreme shine, mist on forceful 23 super strength finishing spray section-by-section and blow-dry hair with a Mason Pearson brush. Reapply the spray to your finished style for a sleek, plasticized effect.
3. Finish any style with a mist of vinyl glam 02 mega shine spray-it adds extreme shine without weighing down fine hair.
From Left: Calvin Klein, Pringle, and Alice Temperley.
Chic Twists: A Fresh “Twist” On A Classic Updo: Runway fashions took on a new, voluminous silhouette this season-to complement, updos were modernized with smaller shapes and disheveled finishes. As seen at: Balenciaga, Lanvin, Peter Som, and Roberto Cavalli.
1. Make a French twist look modern by bobby-pinning it to the back of the head and leaving the ends sticking out-it’s an edgier take on the classic, neatly rolled twist.
2. For the lived-in updo seen at Peter Som: Apply thickening lotion 06 body builder to damp hair, rough dry, backcomb at the crown and create a messy French twist (let some pieces fall free). Mist on forceful 23 super strength finishing spray for firm control.
3. Play with proportion to give a 1950s twist a modern touch: Curl the top section (directing hair backwards), brush out and apply glass 01 smoothing serum. Create a flat twist at the back of the head and lightly tease the hair at the forehead to add a touch of height. Finish with quick dry 18 instant finishing spray.
From left: Roberto Cavali, Peter Som, and Lanvin.
Modern Knots: Easy-To-Do Chignons For Everyday Glam: It’s not often that glam and practical come together, but the new chignons do just that. Wear low knots with this season’s whimiscal hats, and pair high buns with chunky sweaters or lush scarves. As seen at: Akris, Belstaff, Celine, Christopher Kane, Halston, Jonathan Saunders, Kisa, Louis Vuitton, Philosophy, Prada, Pringle, Ralph Lauren, SportMax, and Versace.
1. Freshen up a low chignon by placing it off to the side. Blow-dry hair smooth, apply hardwear 16 super strong gel and pull hair into a low knot on the right side. Mist on vinyl glam 02 mega shine spray for a glam finish.
2. For a messy-chic bun that lasts, use a ponytail as your base. Apply thickening lotion 06 body builder to damp hair, rough dry, then create a high ponytail. Backcomb the tail, twist it around the base and bobby-pin, letting pieces fall loosely. Add healthy shine and firm finish with quick dry 18 instant finishing spray.
3. Create the simplest possible chignon: Apply glass 01 smoothing serum and gather into a ponytail. Instead of pulling hair all the way through the elastic, leave it in a loop with the ends sticking out.
From left: SportMax, Akris, and Versace.
Ponytail Perfection: Every Women’s Style Staple, Updated Gorgously: Simply the perfect style-a sleek ponytail complements all face shapes and adds chic simplicity to the elaborate, multi-layered fashions seen on the runway. As seem as: Calvin Klein, Marc Jacobs, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Miu Miu, and PHI.
1. Combine textures to add interest to a ponytail. Apply hardwear 16 super strong gel from the forehead to the crown for a sleek finish, then pull hair into a ponytail. Either leave the tail free of product for natural movement, or add second-day texture by misting on fabricate 03 heat-active texturizer and blasting with a blow-dryer.
2. Get a super sleek ponytail, as seen at Miu Miu: Prep hair with spray starch 15 heat memory styler and create a high ponytail. Flat-iron the tail for ultra straight results, then mist on quick dry 18 instant finishing spray to add shine and control.
3. Whether you choose a defined part or no part at all, it’s key to keep your ponytail free of fly-aways-glass 01 smoothing serum layered over quick dry 18 instant finishing spray will keep fly-aways in check.