A return to simplicity…”This season, it’s all about paring down the hair. Hair had a very modern feel, with styles that stayed close to the head. Loose hair was the exception, not the rule.”
An added touch…”Adding a hair accessory like a hat or a headband can really complement an over-all look.”
A changeable nature…”Heat styling is crucial when you’re backstage. I need products that protect the hair and lock in shape, so I can transform models’ hair from one show to another.”
–GUIDO, Redken Creative Consultant.
Hair Trend 1: Perfectly Undone. Softly reconstructed looks with a natural matte finishing. Ponytails, knots and half-ponytails had a casual, disheveled look that played perfectly against spring’s ladylike silhouettes.
Finishes were satin-matte, with an easy elegance.
AS SEEN AT:
Balenciaga • Calvin Klein • Celine • Marc Jacobs • Peter Som • Pollini • Salvatore Ferragamo.
Peter Som, Pollini, Calvin Klein.
How to get perfectly undone hairstyle:
• Hair shouldn’t look tamed this season. Instead, bring out natural texture by applying thickening lotion 06 body builder and tousling with your fingers as you blow-dry.
• Get the casual-chic half-ponytail seen at Peter Som: Mist sections of dry hair with spray starch 15 versatile ironing spray, curl with a 1-inch curling iron, gather into a half-ponytail with volume at the crown and secure with bobby pins. Pull pieces loose to enhance the disheveled effect.
• Create the easiest updo, as seen at Calvin Klein. Apply blown away 09 protective blow-dry gel and blow-dry with a paddle brush. Part hair with your fingers and gather into a low ponytail, leaving the tail in a loop with the ends sticking out.
Hair Trend 2: Middle Ground. Classic chic. The middle part makes a comeback. A styling classic, the middle part can add edge to an updo or infuse a long, loose style with a shot of casual glam.
AS SEEN AT:
Balenciaga • Calvin Klein • GAP • Jonathan Saunders • Marc Jacobs • Peter Som • PHI • Philosophy • Roberto Cavalli • Versace.
GAP, Versace, PHI.
How to get the perfect middle part hairstyle:
• Make beachy waves work appropriate, as seen at GAP. Mist fabricate 03 heat-active texturizer on damp hair, rough dry to bring out waves, then create a clean center part. Enhance waves and de-frizz with a dab of elastic works 09 waving gel.
• Create the super-sleek ponytail seen at Versace. Blow-dry hair straight, create a middle part and use a brush to gather hair into a smooth, low ponytail. Working section-by-section, mist iron silk 07 ultra straightening spray on the tail and flat-iron. Lightly mist vinyl glam 02 mega shine spray all-over, followed by quick dry 18 instant finishing spray.
• Go a little left-or right-of center. If a middle part doesn’t flatter your face, create a part that sits slightly to either side. The effect is softer but still on-trend.
Hair trend 3: Up and Away. Clean lines and easy updos keep hair off face the face.
Whether swept up or slicked back, this season’s hair was kept away from the face, with no bangs or stray pieces to disturb the clean, simple style.
AS SEEN AT:
Akris • Balenciaga • Calvin Klein • Celine • GAP • Issa • Jonathan Saunders • Lanvin • Louis Vuitton • Luella
Marc Jacobs • Marc by Marc Jacobs • PHI • Pollini • Prada • Pringle of Scotland • Ralph Lauren • Roberto Cavalli • Salvatore Ferragamo.
Pringle of Scotland, Lanvin, Prada.
How to get Up and Away Hairstyle:
• Play with textures, as seen at Pringle of Scotland. Apply thickening lotion 06 body builder to damp hair and rough-dry. Warm up a dab of hardwear 16 super strong gel in your palms, smooth the hair around your face back toward the crown, and comb through. Add shine with vinyl glam 02 mega shine spray.
• Keep hair in control. At Prada, Guido pulled hair into a classic French twist with height on top, then gave the style extreme edge by spraying with forceful 23 super strength finishing spray until he achieved a lacquered look. For everyday, a quick mist will tame fly-aways and keep your updo in place.
• Try an updo that combines sleekness with texture, as seen at Lanvin. Apply blown away 09 protective blow-dry gel to damp hair and rough-dry. Use your fingers to pull hair into a high ponytail, and bobby-pin into a knot. Mist on quick dry 18 instant finishing spray and blow-dry for a few seconds to create a slightly disheveled finish.
Hair Trend 4: Instant Update. Glam hair accessories paired with modern styles.
From whimsical to traditional, this season’s hair accessories complemented countless looks. Try a simple black headband, a jaunty fedora or anything that adds a pop of color.
AS SEEN AT:
Balenciaga • Jean Paul Gaultier • Louis Vuitton • Luella • Marc by Marc Jacobs • Pollini • Ralph Lauren • SportMax
Marc by Marc Jacobs, Ralph Lauren, Jean Paul Gaultier.
How to get this an instant update hairstyle:
• Strike a balance between your hairstyle and your hair accessory. For example, pair a masculine fedora with romantic waves, as seen at Ralph Lauren. Mist on hot sets 22 thermal setting mist and curl sections with a large-barrel curling iron, focusing on your mid-lengths.
• Try the cool ponytail seen at Marc by Marc Jacobs: Mist fabricate 03 heat-active texturizer on damp hair and rough-dry. Use your fingers to pull hair into a high ponytail and mist on quick dry 18 instant finishing spray. Wrap a black band or ribbon around your head twice and secure at the nape.
• Get creative. At Jean Paul Gaultier, Guido slicked hair into a bun with hardwear 16 super strong gel, wrapped tights (in contrasting colors) around the head to create a cap, and secured it with bobby-pins. Take the look from runway to reality by snipping the waist and feet off a pair of tights and wrapping it around the head to create a thick band.