New York Fashion Week SS 2011. Christian Siriano Spring/Summer 2011 Show with Antoinette Beenders for Aveda.
Aveda lead stylist Antoinette Beenders created a textured bun using Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray at the Christian Siriano Spring/Summer 2011 Fashion Week show in New York.
The Hairstyle & Inspiration: “The Christian Siriano hair look for this season is all about different cultures mixing and blending together. The style is a modern bun—full of attitude—with sections of crimped hair cascading over it for texture. It’s a strong, contemporary twist on the classic bun.” — Antoinette Beenders for Aveda
HOW TO GET THE LOOK:
1. Brush hair with a Mason Pearson brush. Pull the top section of hair — from the hairline to the crown — and clip it out of the way.
2. Comb the remaining hair back into a tight, high ponytail and secure with a bungee elastic. Spray with Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray for hold.
3. Spray Aveda Brilliant Spray-On Shine directly onto the bristles of a kabuki-style Aveda Uruku Bronzing Brush. “Paint” the sides of hair with the Uruku Bronzing Brush for shine.
4. Take the ponytail and braid it. Then twist the braid into a bun, securing to the head with bobby pins. Spray with Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray for ultra-strong hold.
5. Remove the clip from the remaining top section of hair and comb to the crown. Working with small portions of hair (approximately one inch) at a time, use a micro-crimping iron to add texture from the crown to ends.
6. Brush the hair with a Mason Pearson brush to loosen the crimp. Gently pull the hair over the bun and secure at the base with hair pins. Spray with Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray.
7. Pull a few pieces of hair out of the bun with fingers for extra texture. Set the look with Aveda Control Force™ Firm Hold Hair Spray.
Q: What was your inspiration for this look? How did you collaborate with the designer to create the look?
“Christian’s collection is inspired by world-travel and includes lots of Asian and African inspired prints as well as intricate beading. We wanted to create a look that evoked the elements of his collection, so we created a modern, textured bun. It’s a chic-yet-rough, spontaneous look that pairs perfectly with Christian’s Spring/Summer 2011 collection.”— Antoinette Beenders for Aveda
Q: How could a woman achieve this look on her own?
“This look is surprisingly easy to recreate. Pin the top section of hair up with a large clip so sides and back are free. Next, create a high ponytail with the rest of hair and spritz with Aveda Brilliant™ Spray-On Shine. Secure tightly with an elastic and twist into a bun, fastening with bobby pins. Take the clipped section of hair on top and crimp the ends, in small sections, with a micro-crimping iron. Pull crimped hair over the bun and secure at the base with hair pins. Hold the look in place with Aveda Control Force™ Firm Hold Hair Spray.” — Antoinette Beenders for Aveda
Q: What is the inspiration for your collection? What is the look you are capturing?
“My collection this season is elegant and opulent, and the clothing has African, Indian, and Asian influences. My muse for Spring/Summer 2011 is a sophisticated yet vibrant woman. We are showcasing a breadth of silhouettes: flowing, wide-legged trousers, safari shorts and jackets, kimono sleeves, structured cocktail dresses, and light, fluttering evening gowns. Our prints were inspired by digital photographs of both Chinese temples and Indian beading. The patterns captivate the eye and compliment the deep red, khaki, and saturated paprika tones of the clothes. The collection is about feeling glamorous in what you wear, whether it’s simple or lavish, and mixing both of those styles together.” — Christian Siriano
Q: You have made a real effort to “green” your show this season. How do you feel about this accomplishment?
“I try to preserve the Earth’s natural resources and my carbon footprint in any way I can. It’s vital to preserve the world we live in, and it feels great to be able to make a positive impact during Fashion Week. One of the best things about working with Aveda is being able to “go green” in such a fabulous way!” — Christian Siriano