Hairstyle Trends. New York Fashion Week SS 2011. Aveda lead stylist Jenn Chiminiello created “wilted waves” using Aveda Pure Abundance Hair Potion and Aveda Air Control Hair Spray at the ORGANIC by John Patrick Spring/Summer 2011 Fashion Week presentation in New York.
The Hairstyle & Inspiration: “The undone, wavy look is sexy and unrestrained, inspired by a girl’s hair after she’s been in the water. It’s very soft and flowing with lots of texture to give it a natural messiness. It’s loose, second-day hair—like it was curled the day before and then left alone. Our collection this season is based around water. I love that the hair look evokes the salty, windblown feel of hair that’s dried after being in the ocean. The style definitely has some 1970’s, Charlie’s Angels inspiration but the finished look is completely fresh.”— John Patrick of ORGANIC by John Patrick
HOW TO GET THE HAIR LOOK:
1. Prep damp hair with Aveda Smooth Infusion Style-Prep Smoother for sleek smoothness and to prevent frizz. Use a fine-tooth comb to create a strong part of the left side of the head.
2. Scrunch Aveda Phomollient Styling Foam into damp hair and massage into roots for volume and shine. Blow hair dry with a large ceramic round brush, curling ends under.
3. Pin top section of hair up with a large clip so sides are free for curling. Use a large-barrel curling iron on one-inch sections of hair at a time, working from the bottom up.
4. Remove pin from top section and curl as done on the sides.
5. Sprinkle Aveda Pure Abundance Hair Potion from roots to ends and rake hands through hair to create texture and loose roughness to waves.
6. Finish with a mist of Aveda Air Control Hair Spray for light hold and pull ends forward to rest on shoulders.
Q: What was your inspiration for this look? How did you collaborate with the designer to create the look?
“John Patrick explained his drive and focus while creating this collection. He was inspired by water, movement, fluidity, and flow. I wanted to take the hair in a similar direction: long, wavy, and natural, with a bit of texture and looseness.” — Jenn Chiminiello for Aveda
Q: How could a woman achieve this look on her own?
“This loose, natural look is easy to recreate and works for both day and evening. Prep damp hair with Aveda Smooth Infusion™ Style-Prep Smoother™ to prevent flyaways and Aveda Phomollient™ Styling Foam for volume and texture. Create a strong side part and blow hair dry with a round brush for extra volume and shine. Use a one-inch curling iron to create waves, working in sections from bottom to top. To make the style look natural, sprinkle with Aveda Pure Abundance™ Hair Potion and rake hands through hair to loosen waves. Finish with a light mist of Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray.” — Jenn Chiminiello for Aveda
Janell Geason, Global Educator for Aveda Makeup, created a naturally luminous look using Aveda Petal Essence Eye Color Trio in Gobi Sands, Aveda Nourish-Mint Sheer Mineral Lip Color in Sheer Roseleaf, and Aveda Inner Light Mineral Tinted Moisture SPF 15 at the ORGANIC by John Patrick Spring/Summer 2011 Fashion Week presentation in New York.
HOW TO GET THE MAKEUP LOOK:
1. Prep skin with Aveda Enbrightenment Brightening Correcting Creme for luminosity.
2. Using the Aveda Inner Light Foundation Brush, apply Aveda Inner Light Mineral Tinted Moisture SPF 15 and Aveda Inner Light Concealer to even skin tone. Create a semi-matte finish with Inner Light Mineral Loose Powder in Translucent.
3. Use the Aveda Inner Light Foundation Brush to apply a small amount of Aveda Inner Light Mineral Dual Foundation to the contours of cheeks, choosing a foundation two shades deeper than natural skin tone.
1. Prep eyelids with Aveda Inner Light Mineral Tinted Moisture SPF 15. Highlight the center of the lid with the Aveda Petal Essence Eye Color Trio in Copper Haze—using the middle (contour) color of the palette to create a taupe-y, smoky look.
2. Define the contour of the eye with Aveda Petal Essence Eye Color Trio in Gobi Sands, using the middle color of the palette.
3. Swipe the center shade of the Gobi Sands Eye Color Trio from the inside corners of each eyelid to the outside corners, on both top and bottom lash lines.
4. Define the eyes with the Aveda Petal Essence Eye Definer in Cacao on the top and bottom lash lines. Smudge color and encircle the eyes with Aveda Flax Sticks Eye Smudger Brush (#5).
5. Brush eyebrows into place and softly define them with the Aveda Flax Sticks Brow & Lash Brush (#7). Define brows with the Gobi Sands Eye Color Trio.
6. Curl lashes and apply two coats of Aveda Mosscara in Black Forest to top and bottom.
7. For a wet finished look, use finger to dab a drop of Aveda All-Sensitive Body Formula on both tops and bottoms of the eyelid.
1. Prime lips with Aveda Nourish-Mint Renewing Lip Treatment. Apply Aveda Nourish-Mint Sheer Mineral Lip Color in Sheer Roseleaf and press into lips with a sponge to intensify natural color.
2. Apply a small amount of Aveda Nourish-Mint Rehydrating Lip Glaze in Raspberry Tea to the pout of the lips to create a more worn-in, hours-later look.
INTERVIEW WITH JANELL GEASON, GLOBAL EDUCATOR, AVEDA MAKEUP:
Q: What was your inspiration for this look?
“John Patrick spoke about water as a theme. We decided that the hair was going to look loose and wavy, and be done, but not too done. I wanted the makeup to look effortlessly chic, like a girl spent the day at the beach and was going out. It’s a soft, daytime look with lots of glow and sheen. The skin is luminous and eyes feature natural, taupe-y browns. I chose sophisticated, organic shades to enhance the healthy, natural colors found in the skin, especially during the summer. The shades of taupe are 1970’s influenced and give off a brown smokiness. The makeup look needed to have lightness in both attitude and application for a soft, sultry, smooth feel. It’s polished but doesn’t look like the girl tried too hard.” — Janell Geason for Aveda
Q: How did you collaborate with the designer to create the look?
“John Patrick and I spoke about the elements of his collection, the woman who wears his clothes, and how his clothes tell us something about her. He has a keen sense of this woman, she is very chic and modern, but has a classic, nostalgic warmth to her. I chose colors and textures that this woman would wear as an accessory.” — Janell Geason for Aveda
Q: How could a woman achieve this look on her own?
“This look is very attainable and wearable. Use the Aveda Petal Essence™ Eye Color Trio in ‘Twilight’ to bring out the natural shape of the eye and enhance skin tone. Cheeks should be lightly flushed with the Aveda Inner Light™ Mineral Dual Foundation in a shade that’s two levels darker than the natural skin tone. To keep the look sophisticated, make sure that skin is polished with a semi-matte finish using the Aveda Inner Light™ Tinted Moisture SPF 15 and the Aveda Inner Light™ Mineral Loose Powder. Stain lips with the Aveda Nourish-Mint™ Smoothing Lip Color in ‘Sheer Roseleaf’ and a small amount of Aveda Nourish-Mint™ Rehydrating Lip Glaze in ‘Raspberry Tea’ on the pout.” — Janell Geason for Aveda
INTERVIEW WITH JOHN PATRICK OF ORGANIC BY JOHN PATRICK:
Q: What is the inspiration for your collection? What is the look you are capturing?
“The inspiration for my collection this season is water. Every manifestation of water—from floods to falls to lack thereof. I want to inspire a reverence for water, a resource that affects us constantly, everyday. This collection reflects the evolution of the 21st Century silhouette: modernity, function, and beauty.” — John Patrick of ORGANIC by John Patrick
Q: You work hard to reduce the environmental impact of your presentation each season with Aveda’s Green Backstage program by replacing bottled water with NYC tap water, eliminating the use of fur, serving organic/locally sourced food, and printing invitations on recycled paper. What does your accomplishment mean to you? How do you feel about the end results?
“I feel a sense of needing to do more to protect the environment. It’s incredibly important to tread lightly on the Earth, and there’s always room for improvement. We are thrilled to be working with Aveda, both for their passion for hair and for sustainability. In fact, Aveda CatWalks for Water inspired us to focus this season’s collection around the significance of water.” — John Patrick of ORGANIC by John Patrick