“The Runaways” Head Make Up Artist, Robin Mathews, Designs the Film’s Signature Smoky Eye Using MAKE UP FOR EVER.
“The Runaways,” starring Kristen Stewart as Joan Jett and Dakota Fanning as Cherie Currie, is the ultimate showcase of the rock star make up that defined the 1970’s. In order to design the eye-catching on-screen looks for the new motion picture, make up department head Robin Mathews chose MAKE UP FOR EVER’s Eye Shadows, Aqua Eyes and Smoky Lash mascara to achieve the smoky eye, rock and roll look of the band.
ENTER TO WIN a Trip to The Runaways NYC Premiere: To celebrate the film’s upcoming release, MAKE UP FOR EVER has partnered with “The Runaways” to host a sweepstakes where one lucky winner and a guest will be invited to party like a true rock star at the New York City premiere of the film on March 17th.
The Runaways Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning Makeup Tutorial:
To help women everywhere channel their inner rock star and get the famed rock and roll smoky eye at home, MAKE UP FOR EVER created two unique makeup tutorials with the help of Robin Mathews. Each video showcases Robin’s step-by-step breakdown detailing how to re-create her favorite Kristen Stewart/Joan Jett and Dakota Fanning/Cherie Currie make up looks from the film. The video, which is part of a larger viral campaign, can also be viewed at http://www.makeupforeverusa.com/runaways/ . Additionally, MAKE UP FOR EVER’s favorite smoky eye color combinations are featured in Sephora stores across the U.S. and Canada, allowing you to customize your look for spring.
Get the Inside Scoop on How to Get “The Runaways” Rock Star Smoky Eye with Robin Mathews’ favorite MAKE UP FOR EVER products!
“I designed ‘The Runaways’ Eyes around MAKE UP FOR EVER Eye Shadows. Their highly pigmented Eye Shadows and Aqua Eyes eyeliners are silky smooth, blendable, and long lasting,” said Robin Mathews. “The color selection is limitless, giving you endless possibilities. I finished each look with Smoky Lash mascara – which is truly smudge proof, a necessity on and off stage.”
Kristen Stewart as Joan Jett – Classic Smoky Eye:
1. Start with Eye Shadow #127 (metallic taupe). Cover the entire eye lid with shadow so that there are no hard edges, making sure to blend out the color extremely well.
2. Using Aqua Eyes #0L (black), apply a very generous amount of eyeliner under the eye on the lower lid, then rim the top lid as close to lash line as possible.
3. Using a smudging brush, smudge the liner on the top and bottom of the eye. Robin’s tip: the secret to a great rock and roll smoky eye is all about the smudge – it doesn’t have to be uniform or neat. Once you’re done smudging, go back and re-apply a heavier coat of eyeliner along the lash line. Then, remove any excess shadow that may have fallen using a sponge.
4. Apply Eye Shadow #139 (iridescent brown black), a darker brown than the color used on the base of the lid, and smudge it over the black liner that was smudged out earlier on both the top and bottom lids.
5. Use a lash curler to lift all the lashes and prep them for applying mascara.
6. To complete the ultimate smoky eye, apply Smoky Lash first to the tops of the lashes, and then follow through scissoring up to create volume and separation.
Dakota Fanning as Cherie Currie – Colorful Smoky Eye:
1. Apply Star Powder #922 (copper) onto the eye lid, all the way to the inner corner, stopping just shy of the outer corner.
2. Using Aqua Eyes #3L (iridescent navy blue), line the lash line on the top and bottom lids. Robin’s tip: for the perfect smoky eye, the trick is to apply the eyeliner as close to the lash line as possible.
3. Smudge the eyeliner on the top and bottom of the eye using a smudging brush to create a more fluid, blended look.
4. Apply Eye Shadow #81(metallic navy blue iridescent) to the outer corner of the eye using a small flat brush, then drag the shadow into the crease very lightly.
5. Tap the brush to remove any excess shadow and then blend the blue shadow line ever so slightly. Using the same brush, apply the blue eye shadow onto the bottom lash line to blend it out and create a smoky effect.
6. Curl the lashes, then apply Smoky Lash Mascara going up and out to accentuate and elongate the eye.